I love my Nespresso Vertuo machine because it enables me to make larger coffees with thicker crema, which starts my day on the right foot. But what is the best way to clean your Nespresso Vertuo to keep it in good condition?
It would be best if you cleaned your Nespresso Vertuo by using its cleaning cycle. This is activated by switching on the machine, turning its lever, and pressing its start button in quick succession.
In this article, I'll provide a step-by-step guide to follow when cleaning your Nespresso Vertuo machine so that it continues working correctly.
1. Remove the Drip Tray and Water Canister
Before you clean your Nespresso Vertuo machine, you should remove a few components to clean them thoroughly. This is also important to ensure that your coffee pods function correctly. To find out how to address an exploding coffee pod, read our guide, “How To Stop Your Coffee Pods From Exploding Or Leaking.”
The components that you should remove from the Nespresso coffee maker are the following:
- Drip tray
- Water canister
You can wash these a bit later with warm water, a damp cloth, and mild dish soap when you've started the coffee machine's cleaning cycle, as it will give you a cleaning task to do for a few minutes.
2. Fill the Water Canister
After rinsing the water canister, you can fill it with fresh water. Put its lid on and insert it back into the machine. Ensure you place a cup or bowl underneath the machine's spout to catch all the water flow used to clean the machine.
The cup must be large enough to hold 20 ounces (591 ml) of fluid.
3. Remove the Used Coffee Capsule
Coffee capsules must then be removed.
If you've still got a used coffee capsule inside the Vertuo machine, you need to remove it before you start the cleaning cycle.
To do this, open the machine's head and allow the used coffee capsule to be ejected from the capsule holder. Close the machine head before you proceed.
RELATED: How to Use a Nespresso Milk Frother
4. Switch on the Coffee Machine
Now that you're ready to start the machine's cleaning cycle, you should switch on the coffee machine.
You'll notice that a green light flashes around the button. This indicates that the machine is warming up, which it will take 40 seconds. Once the machine is ready, the flashing green light will become a steady green light.
Nespresso Vertuoline Machine on Amazon
5. Press the Coffee Button Three Times
To start the cleaning mode, press the coffee button three times within two seconds.
Give the machine a few minutes to begin its cleaning cycle. Once it starts, the cleaning cycle will take approximately five minutes, as Nespresso reports.
You'll notice that the button will flash an orange light during the cleaning process.
It should take about two minutes for the water to flow so that the machine cleans itself, but it will complete the cleaning process automatically.
When the light on the coffee machine becomes steady green, this indicates that the device has finished its cycle.
If you have to pause the cleaning process at any time, you can press the coffee button/ “on” button once.
6. Wash the Machine's Drip Tray
You can wash the coffee machine drip tray by hand while the machine is cleaning itself automatically.
Just use some warm tap water and a squirt of mild dishwashing liquid to prevent bacteria and mold, as wikiHow reports.
Avoid harsh chemical detergents to keep it in top condition, as you don't want abrasive chemicals to damage the machine. You also don't want anything harmful in the machine you use to make your daily coffee.
If you use soap to clean your machine, make sure it doesn't have a strong scent, as this can alter the taste of your coffee.
Sticking to a dishwashing liquid that doesn't have a fragrance is a good idea. Seventh Generation Dish Liquid Soap Dishwashing, available from Amazon, is a great choice.
It's dermatologically tested and completely free of any fragrance.
7. Descale Your Nespresso Machine
Descaling your coffee machine is essential occasionally because limescale buildup and hard water deposits can accumulate in the machine.
To descale your Nespresso machine, you have to purchase a descaling kit, which is available online or from a Nespresso store.
Nespresso descaling solution is essential because it contains a solution that cleans residue from the machine and is specially designed for your Nespresso machine so that it won't cause damage.
You'll know when to descale your machine because its button will display two colors simultaneously: red and green.
Once you've got your descaling kit, follow these tips to descale your Nespresso machine properly.
- Open the machine head so that a coffee capsule can be ejected.
- Close the machine.
- Press the lever on the machine three times to switch the machine off.
- Empty the machine's drip tray and capsule container.
- Put a large container with a one-liter (4-cup) capacity underneath the machine's spout so it will collect water.
- Fill the machine’s tank halfway with water.
- Pour the descaling solution into the tank.
- Press the lever down while simultaneously pressing the coffee/”on” button for three seconds. You'll see the button's light turn steady orange, which means it's in menu mode.
- Bring the handle down once time to activate the descaling option.
- Press the coffee button again.
- When the descaling cleaning solution has been dispensed, the coffee maker goes silent and switches itself off. Note that the descaling process will take 20 minutes, and you can't pause or interrupt it.
- Rinse the coffee machine (see below).
Nespresso Vertuo Next on Amazon
8. Rinse the Coffee Machine
After cleaning or descaling your coffee machine, you should rinse it once to ensure it has been cleaned properly.
This is especially important to do after you've descaled it.
To do this, use the following steps as your guide:
- Place an empty cup underneath the coffee machine's spout.
- Empty the coffee machine's water tank.
- Rinse the tank with some water.
- Refill the tank about two-thirds of the way with clean water.
- Press the coffee button three times within two seconds.
- Let the rinsing process start. This will take a few minutes and will stop automatically. You can press the button if needed to stop/pause the rinsing cycle.
- To exit "rinsing" mode, press the lever down and press the button simultaneously for three seconds.
You'll see the light flash orange during the cycle, and when it becomes green and steady, the process is complete.
RELATED: How to Clean a Braun Coffee Maker
9. Reset Your Coffee Machine
To ensure your coffee machine has been cleaned and is ready to start brewing the perfect cup of coffee, you should empty its water tank.
- Press and hold the “on” button (power button) until you can see the flashing light is constant.
- Refill the water tank with clean water.
- Put the clean tank in the machine.
- Start brewing your coffee!
The cleaning cycle on a Nespresso Vertuo is activated by switching on the machine, turning its lever, and pressing its start button in quick succession.
To descale your Nespresso machine, you have to purchase a descaling kit, which is available online or from a Nespresso store. Nespresso descaling solution is essential because it contains a solution that cleans residue from the machine and is specially designed for your Nespresso machine so that it won't cause damage. You'll know when to descale your machine because its button will display two colors simultaneously: red and green.
According to Nespresso, it is recommended to clean and descale a Nespresso Vertuo every 3 months or every 300 capsules.
In conclusion, cleaning your Nespresso Vertuo on a regular basis is essential for maintaining the quality and longevity of your machine.
By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your coffee tastes its best and your machine remains in optimal condition.
Regularly descaling (approximately every 3 months), cleaning the brewing unit, and emptying the drip tray and capsule container will help prevent any build-up or clogs.
Additionally, wiping down the exterior of the machine and cleaning the water tank regularly will keep it looking clean and functioning properly. By incorporating these cleaning habits into your routine, you can enjoy delicious coffee from your Nespresso Vertuo for years to come. Start implementing these tips today to keep your machine running smoothly!
There are three methods to follow when cleaning your machine:
- Starting its cleaning cycle
- Descaling the machine regularly
- Rinsing the machine